LA Times Movie News
- 'McFarland, USA' film revives long-buried memory for runner
- I knew a movie involving one of the biggest disappointments in my youth might be made someday. Still, my heart began to sink when a screening of "McFarland, USA" rolled around to its climax.
- Box office: 'Focus' is No. 1; 'Still Alice,' 'Birdman' get Oscars bump
- The Will Smith romantic caper "Focus" opened at No. 1, kicking "Fifty Shades of Grey" out of the top spot over the weekend but still falling short of box office projections.
- 'Mockingjay Part 1' sets up 'Hunger Games' finale nicely
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
- LACMA to screen '400 Blows,' other Francois Truffaut films
- After building a reputation as a maverick film critic, New Wave pioneer Francois Truffaut burst into the international scene with his first feature, 1959's "The 400 Blows," a hauntingly personal tale starring Jean-Pierre Léaud as troubled adolescent Antoine Doinel. Over the next 20...
- John Boorman catches up with alter ego in 'Queen & Country'
- John Boorman has made a lot of tough-nosed, violent and demanding films, including the 1967 film noir "Point Blank" with Lee Marvin, the Oscar-nominated 1972 thriller "Deliverance," starring Burt Reynolds and Jon Voight, and "Excalibur," the visceral 1981 dramatic fantasy based on King Arthur...
- Harrison Ford to reprise 'Blade Runner' role in sequel
- Leonard Nimoy, 'Star Trek' and beyond: A video retrospective
- Leonard Nimoy dies at 83: A look back at his life in pictures
- 'Focus' filmmakers Glenn Ficarra and John Requa go for the unexpected
- Movies don't have to be an either/or proposition. They can be both smart and fun, a pleasure without guilt and self-aware without being snobby.
- UCLA film festival a fascinating window into our cinematic past
- The UCLA Festival of Preservation doesn't have a motto, but if it did it might be "Give me your tired films, your huddled masses of forgotten and decaying cinema, and I will breathe fire into them and set them free." Really.